Monday, April 19, 2010

Wake up call

This past Saturday what quite humbling. I took BJJ and Muay Thai classes @
Elite Training Center in St. Pete. Keep in mind I just started with these technique classes. I have been going to Elite for about 6-7 months, but just doing fitness classes. I have always been intrigued with BJJ (Brazilian Ju-Jitsu) and Muay Thai. So, I figured why not give it a whirl.
BJJ, has always been foreign to me, as you are on the ground the entire time, submitting your opponent with chokes or bending limbs the way they aren't suppose to be bent. I will need to stick with this class, as it is slow and like learning a new language.
The first couple of Muay Thai classes were fun. We would learn a few techniques and then spar for about 10 min at the end of class. Now, without sounding like a wimp, getting hit is not fun. Granted we have protective gear on, but it still is not fun. This past Saturday, I knew going into it, we would be sparring for the entire class. 2 min rounds and then you switch partners. I obviously need to work on my stamina, because I was gassed after about 3 rounds. I am not use to wearing a mouthpiece, so the whole breathing with rubber in your mouth is new to me. Not an excuse, just sayin. We were sparring and I looked over and this kid who had gotten punched in the nose and was bleeding. Gross! But, maybe he should have been wearing head gear. I was up next against this guy whom bloodied up the previous dude. A rule in sparring is, you match each others intensity. So, I guess I came out a little too strong and this guy (whom is a muay thai fighter, fyi) lit me up! I made it through unscathed, but I think my brain shifted a few times. I had to sit the next few rounds out, to do that whole breathing thing. Anyways, the instructor was sparring as well and did not take any mercy on the fighters in class. Knocked out the guy whom I just sparred against out and just annihilated the others who followed. Check that ego at the door bros.
For someone like myself, who wants to excel in all areas, getting beat up, doesn't help. I want to continue doing this, but need to keep in mind, no one starts out an expert, you have to continue to learn and practice. Don't' get discouraged out there. Keep on keepin on!
All in all, fun classes! I'll be back for more for sure.

1 comment: